An Official Vermont Government Website

Vermont State Logo
Cars on a Vermont highway
Motorcycle Permit Application

Motorcycle Learner's Permit

Every Vermont resident who operates a motorcycle on the highway in Vermont must hold a valid CDL, Vermont Driver's or Junior Driver's license with the proper motorcycle endorsement. 

A fee is required each time an applicant takes the knowledge test. A fee is charged for any subsequent test taken due to a failure.

Remember, no tests will be given unless you hold a valid Vermont Driver's License, Junior Driver's License, or Commercial Driver License.


Motorcycle Learner Permits

A Vermont licensed resident who does not possess a motorcycle endorsement may obtain a motorcycle learner permit to learn how to operate a motorcycle.

  1. If you are 16 or 17 years old in addition to having a valid Jr. Operator License, you MUST also have a parent or legal guardian sign the Motorcycle Learner Permit Application.
  2. Applicant must hold a valid Vermont Driver's, Commercial or Junior License to qualify for a Motorcycle Learner Permit.


The Motorcycle Learner Permit will allow you to ride a motorcycle on any public highway to become familiar with actual in traffic operation. There are certain restrictions:

  • A motorcycle may be operated during daylight hours only.
  • The Motorcycle Learner Permit-holder is not allowed to carry any passengers.
  • The motorcycle learner permit is valid in Vermont only.

Ignoring the restrictions will void the Motorcycle Learner Permit.


There is a $11.00 fee to apply to take the motorcycle learner permit test. Any subsequent test taken due to a failure will require another $11.00 test fee. Once the motorcycle permit test is passed there will be a $24.00 fee to obtain the motorcycle learner permit.